Humble Apple Pie
Use store bought pre-rolled pie crusts OR if you're feeling adventurous, click here for the best DIY pie crust instruction from Melissa Clark.
Serves 1 (multiply per person/ramekin, as needed)
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of atomic masala, garam masala or cayenne pepper (for heat lovers)
- [Optional] Replace above spices with mulling spices such as star anise, nutmeg, clove, cardamom for a seasonal flavor
- Turn out your pie crust and place your ramekin upside down on top. Cut a 2" larger circle, an drape/mould pie crust into dish. Save scraps for topping.
- Peel, core and thinly slice 1 apple per ramekin (serving)
- Mix/toss with granulated sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, ginger, chosen spices.
- Fill the dough lined ramekin with apple filling, top with more crust of your style choice (round, lattice, scraps).
- Seal with the tongs of a fork, brush with milk or heavy cream & sprinkle lightly with sugar and a touch of ground cinnamon.
- Bake according to pie crust directions until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. Serve with favorite ice cream.
- Note: For the best DIY pie crust users, roll out to 1/8" thickness and follow same steps.